Foldvaribooks

...

Oppenheimer, Joseph Süß: Promissory note. (Wechsel.)

Darmstadt: October 27, 1733. With Joseph Süß Oppenheimer’s holograph notes on both sides and signature on verso. Stamped, signed by De Pretlack on recto. One leaf (ca. 205 × 88 mm). In fine condition. Autograph notes and signature of the Jud Süß, one of the most iconic figures in the history of anti-Semitism (Mintzker, 2017). Promissory note dated in Darmstadt, Hesse on October 27, 1733, for sixty Louis d’or, to be repaid on January 20, 1734. The contract was made between Joseph Süss Oppenheimer and a member of the Hessian noble family “De Pretlack”, most likely Johann Rudolf Victor Freiherr von Pretlack (1668–1737), General of the Cavalry and Field Marshal Lieutenant. With Oppenheimer’s handwritten notes (partly legible): on the recto the specification of the location in Frankfurt of the repay, and on the verso a signed note, which names Löb Stengler[?], supposedly about the settlement of the loan. The payee of the sixty Louis d’or, a remarkable amount of money, was Joseph Süß Oppenheimer, better known to history as Jud Süß, the name he was given at the age of twenty-five, while serving as a Hoffaktor, the Court Jew in Mannheim, and used for the remainder of his life. Oppenheimer was born around 1698 in Heidelberg, the son of a Jewish merchant and tax collector. He succeeded in emancipating himself from Jewish life as a young man, as it was common at the time in German lands (Mann, 2008). Not much is known about his life before entering the service of Karl Alexander, but it is presumed that already at a young age he was employed by the large Jewish commercial houses in Frankfurt am Main, Amsterdam, Prague, and Vienna (JE). He became an agent for promissory note, worked as a jeweler and moneylender, financial advisor, and private banker in Mannheim, and “subsequently he furnished the stamped paper for the court of the Electoral Palatinate [Kurpfalz], and then the coin for Darmstadt” (JE). In 1732, Oppenheimer met with Karl Alexander, the future Duke of Württemberg, then the governor of the Kingdom of Serbia, and became his agent, appointed Court Jew, war factor, and keeper of the regent’s privy purse. When Karl Alexander ascended the throne one year later in December 1733, Oppenheimer continued his service as close confident and helped the Duke to regulate his finances, supply the army, and find new sources of income. By his extensive power and influence, Jud Süß imposed new taxes, established monopolies, and he was given the responsibility for running the mint. He contracted out many valuable financial opportunities to fellow Jews and while serving Karl Alexander successfully, he also made large sums of money for himself. Such acts led to a strong resentment and hostility among the nobility and soon the wider public of Württemberg toward the Duke and his advisor, and when Karl Alexander unexpectedly died in 1737 the Court Jew was immediately arrested. Oppenheimer was put on trial and condemned to death for unsubstantiated accusations, including bribery, treason, and rape. He was hanged in front of a massive audience on February 4, 1738, and his body was locked in a metal cage at the gate of Stuttgart for six years (Mintzker, 2017). His death is now admitted as judicial murder (JE). Oppenheimer’s tragic story was revived by Wilhelm Hauff in 1826, and a hundred years later by Lion Feuchtwanger (1925), whose novel was soon adapted to screen by Lothar Mendes (Jew Süss, 1934). Despite all this, the Court Jew, Joseph Süß Oppenheimer is mainly remembered today through the violently antisemitic propaganda movie, made in Nazi Germany, the Jud Süß, directed by Veit Harlan in 1940. After his arrest, Oppenheimer’s assets and belongings among them his documents and correspondence were confiscated and prepared systematically by the inquisition commission to be used as evidence against him. The majority of the papers are dated after the present promissory note, and unlike this one, they generally related to Oppenheimer’s relation to Karl Alexander. Today they are kept at the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg (Hauptstaatsarchiv Stuttgart, A 48). Handwritten notes by Oppenheimer could be found in the archive of Oppenheimer’s attorney, Michael Andreas Mögling, kept at the Universitätsbibliothek Tübingen (Mh 468). Besides these collections, we could not find any autographs by Oppenheimer in institutional holdings, auction records, or on the market. Bibl.: Deutsch, G., Kroner, Th.: Joseph Süss Oppenheimer. In: Jewish Encyclopedia (JE). Retrieved from: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/11740-oppenheimer-joseph-suss; Mann, V. B.: Images of ‘Jud Süss’ Oppenheimer, an Early Modern Jew. In: Merback, M.: Beyond the Yellow Badge. Anti-Judaism and Antisemitism in Medieval and Early Modern Visual Culture. Leiden: Brill, 2008 pp. 257–274. Mintzker, Y.: The Many Deaths of Jew Süss. The Notorious Trial and Execution of an Eighteenth-Century Court Jew. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2017.

Sachgebiete: Autographen, Geschichte, Judaica

50000,- EUR

...

Sophie Scholl’s Signed Membership Suspension Request From the Bund Deutscher Mädel.

In Hamburg: Dated on December 4, 1939. Oblong, printed form on light green paper. Signed in ink by Sophia [Sophie] Scholl. Filled by typewriter and handwriting. With the printed letterhead of the Hitler Jugend and the stamp of the NSDAP, Bund Deutscher Mädel of Altona (Hamburg) Untergau 31. Registry stamp filled in ink. 210 × 148 mm. Folded once. Very slightly discolored at the edges and the folding due to aging. Hole punched at the left edge. Tiny tears at the upper and lower edges at the folding. Otherwise in fine condition. An extremely scarce, signed document by the Anti-Nazi resistance hero Sophie Scholl; an official request for suspension of her membership in the Hitler Jugend’s female branch, the League of German Girls. Sophia Magdalena Scholl was a German resistance hero, whose active opposition to the Nazis led to her execution in 1943. Scholl was born into a liberal, Lutheran family in 1921, in Forchtenburg, a small town in the south of Germany. In the early 1930s, the family moved to Ulm where Sophie — as most German girls at age 12 — joined the female section of the Hitler Youth, the Bund Deutscher Mädel (BDM; League of German Girls). Her enthusiasm in the beginning gradually gave way to criticism toward the organization for its militarism. Sophie’s father was a Nazi critic and her brother Hans was participating in the outlawed German Youth Movement, thus they were both arrested and jailed briefly, Hans in 1937 and their father Robert in 1942. After Sophie graduated from secondary school, she became a kindergarten teacher, chosen this job hoping that it would be recognized as an alternative service to the compulsory “Reichsarbeitsdienst” (National Labor Service) or its rival the “Landjahr” (Country Service) – which she was actually summoned for, as the present document proves. This was not the case and eventually in November 1941, she began a six-month duty in the auxiliary war service as a nursery teacher in Blumberg. After finishing her service, in May 1942, she enrolled at the University of Munich where her brother, Hans was already studying. Here Sophie and Hans, along with three fellow students formed a group, called The White Rose which soon became politically active. They started to publish and distribute leaflets calling for the restoration of democracy and justice. Sophie, Hans, and Christoph Probst a fellow member of the White Rose were arrested for distributing their sixth leaflet on February 18, 1943, and after a short trial, they were found guilty of high treason, condemned to death and executed on 22 February 1943. The present document is Sophie Scholl’s membership suspension request from Bund Deutscher Mädel, which she applied for in Hamburg, Altona on December 4, 1939, for being summoned for the six-month compulsory “Landjahr” between April 20 and December 20, 1940. The “Landjahr” was a rural educational program designed to teach specifically chosen youth “to become responsible young Germans”. The signed, countersigned and stamped document was sent to the BDM Untergau (sub-district) 120 in Ulm, and filed there on December 12, 1939. According to the joint handwritten letter, sent by Johann C. Neuhofer to a certain Dr. Rüsch on June 25, 1954, the document was found in an old Hitler Jugend file in Ulm and purchased by Neuhofer in 1950. Another, typewritten letter, a reply of the Oberamtspflege Ludwigsburg to Neuhofer’s inquiry, dated September 10, 1950, reports the information which was found in the files of the former BDM Obergau 20 (Württenberg) on Sophie Scholl. It accounts for Scholl’s history in the BDM from her entry in 1934 until her discharge in 1941. Anything contemporary, especially singed paper related to Sophie Scholl is virtually unobtainable. Besides this document, we could not trace anything alike in auction records or on the market.

Sachgebiete: Autographen, Geschichte, Judaica, Nationalsozialismus

50000,- EUR

...

Senckeisen, Johann Christian. Leipziger Architectur- Kunst- und Seulen-Buch.

[Leipzig]: gedruckt, bey Christoph Friedrich Rumpffen [Rumpf], [1707]. First edition. First edition. In later half vellum binding, panels covered with marbled paper. Woodcut initials and a headpiece. Engraved frontispiece and plates (many folding). 1 [leaf (frontispiece)] 54 [2] p., and 35 engraved plates. Panels slightly rubbed, corners bumped. Old collection stamp, shelfmarks in pencil, price in ink on the front flyleaf. A small hole on the frontispiece with a discolored circumference. Blue inkblots on the title page. Paper browned due to aging, with occasional foxing. Plate XII, XXIII, XXIV are torn at the edge, with no effect on the figures. Overall in very good condition. An extremely scarce illustrated German Baroque carpenter’s- and cabinetry-book by Johann Christian Senckeisen, a member of the important carpenter-dynasty of Leipzig. Johann Christian Senckeisen (around 1670–1729) splendidly illustrated Seulen-Buch gives patterns and instruction on how wooden works, furniture, or paneling, ought to be designed, using architectural elements following the classical order, which idea fits into the tradition of German carpenter’s books, rooted in the Renaissance carpentry. Senckeisen intended to compile this Säulenbuch (book of Orders) for common people and craftsmen unlike the majority of such books, whose audience was the well-to-do and skilled carpenter. The author describes the five orders of columns, explains and presents the designs of various woodworks, and gives a comparative list of architect and craftsmen’s terminology, which is considered as an important linguistic monument of German professional vocabulary. The book is illustrated with 36 engraved architectural designs of columns, altars, bedroom designs, doors and windows, floor patterns, wall-panels, and different furniture, among them a Hamburger Schapp, whose first accurate, illustrated description is provided here on p. 46 (see Christie’s 2344/131; 2610/53.; Stralsund Museum; Landesmuseum Oldenburg), and a particular cabinet on p. 49 whose somewhat altered version is held at the Grassi Museum in Leipzig (Inventory number 1946.5). Senckeisen designed the furniture of several churches in his hometown, among them the chairs at Peterskirche, and the altar of Kirche Seehausen (a very similar pattern is presented in the book on p. 24). He was responsible for the church tower of the Marienkirche (Leipzig-Stötteritz) and it is also assumed that he was the builder of the church itself too. Extremely scarce, we could trace only four copies in institutional holdings worldwide, two in Germany (Ornamentstichsammlung der Kunstbibliothek in Berlin; Universitatsbibliothek Heidelberg) and two in the US (Williams College, MA; Duke University, NC). Literature: Grassi Museum für Angewandte Kunst Leipzig. (2020-03-29). Stollenschrank. Retrieved from https://sachsen.museum- digital.de/index.php?t=objekt&oges=4457&navlang=en; Gurlitt, C.: Beschreibende Darstellung der älteren Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Königreichs Sachsen. [...] Stadt Leipzig. Dresden: C. C. Meinhold & Söhne, 1895.


10000,- EUR

...

Olbrich, Joseph Maria. Der Frauen Rosenhof. I. M. Olbrich.

Berlin: Ernst Wasmuth, 1906 [or 1907]. First edition. In publisher’s stiff paper wrapper portfolio, lettered in black on the front cover. [1] loose leaf (title), 30 plates of photographic reproductions. Old collection stamp and shelfmark on portfolio and title page. 2 plates with a humble note in pencil. The portfolio is restored. The plates are in fine condition, some with collection stamp on lower right corner or on verso. Extremely scarce and beautiful Art Nouveau portfolio showing Joseph Maria Olbrich’s buildings and designs for the Ladies’ Rose Court in Cologne. Frauenrosenhof is one of the final works of Joseph Maria Olbrich (1867–1908), the Austrian architect and designer, co-founder of the Vienna Secession. The thirty plates of the portfolio reveal the architectural details of the buildings, the richness and the oriental “luxury" of their interiors, and the details of their ornamental motifs. They also show how the main building and the surrounding garden intermingles into a unity, or the oriental pavilions and terraces facing the small pond. Many of the plates picture individual spectacular decorative objects, also designed by Olbrich, such as a patterned tapestry, table lamp, porcelains, silver- and glassware, furniture and jewelry. Frauenrosenhof was built in 1905 for the 1906 Deutsche Kunstausstellung at Cologne, and it is the only one still preserved among the Art Nouveau buildings that were erected for the Exhibition. The facility was damaged during the World War and the reconstruction did not fully follow the original plans. Extremely scarce publication. We could trace only one copy in institutional holdings, in Germany (SBB).


15000,- EUR

...

Ausführliche Anleitung zu Versuchen mit Röntgenschen X-Strahlen. Nebst Original-Photographieen und Beschreibungen neuer Apparate.

Köln a. Rh. [Cologne]: E. Leybold’s Nachfolger, [June, 1896]. First edition. With an original radiograph mounted on the verso of the front panel. With an advertisement flyer of “Hittdorf’she Röhre”. In publisher’s half cloth, illustrated front panel. 18 p. A very early trade catalogue of X-ray equipments and other components. Illustrated with an original radiograph of a hand, produced in in Leybold’s studio in 1896. X-ray was discovered by the German scientist Wilhelm Röntgen on November 8, 1895. It was also him, who made the first X-ray image, Hand mit Ringen (Hand with Rings) of his wife's hand, taken a few weeks later on December 22. His original paper, Ueber eine neue Art von Strahlen (On A New Kind of Rays), was published on 28 December 1895. E. Leybold’s Nachfolger (today Leybold GmbH) is a Cologne-based trading company, which was focused on the distribution of pharmaceutical and physical-technical equipment and apparatus. The present publication, their 1896 June catalogue of X-ray equipments is – to our best knowledge – the first trade catalogue dedicated entirely to X-ray equipments, and it is among the earliest publications of an original radiograph. The catalogue is not merely offering the equipments but also describes their function, use and development, such as the technological development of the X-ray (focus) tubes, with reference to Röntgen’s second paper on March 9, 1896. The inventory offers different tubes and recommends inductors and power sources, to use, as well as apparatuses and compartments for photographic experiments with the X-ray. The company also offers equipments for experimenting alternate currents and electromagnetic waves described by Tesla and Hertz. With a contemporary advertisement flyer of Hittdorf’she Röhre, a vacuum tube designed by Johann Wilhelm Hittorf.

Sachgebiete: Chemie, Medizin, Photographie, Physik, Instrumente (Technik)

4500,- EUR

...

[Three Original Telegraphs Related to the Surrender of Germany During WWI and the Peace Treaty of Versailles.] The Surrender. Germany. / High Sea Fleet. / Peace Treaty

[London]: [Wireless Press], 1918; 1919. Original, vintage typed telegraphs. “The Surrender” separately, the “High Sea Fleet” and the “Peace Treaty” mounted together. Mounted on hard paper, in passe-partout, unframed. Measures ca. 190 × 190 mm; 190 × 65 mm; 190 × 85 mm. Each telegraph captioned in ink on the frame. Paper yellowed due to aging. The passe-partout and the rear cardboard of “The Surrender” are creased, with no damage to the text. Otherwise in fine condition. Three original telegraphs of the Wireless Press News reporting about the German Surrender during WWI and the signing of the Treaty of Versailles. The first telegraph, dated on 8th November 1918 2.55 PM, addressed to the Admiralty and transmitted through the wireless stations of the French government, reports about the beginning of the negotiation process of the Armistice of 11 November 1918 (Armistice of Compiègne) which put an end to four years of fighting of the Great War, by marking the victory for the Allies and the defeat for Germany. It reports that the German Plenipotentiaries received the conditions of the armistice with the deadline of 72 hours, that Marshal Ferdinand Foch rejected the “German proposal for an immediate conclusion of a provisional suspension of hostilities”, and that of the subsequent German steps of sending the conditions to the German Supreme Army Command at Imperial Army Headquarters in Spa of occupied Belgium, and the related communication of Matthias Erzberger the representative of the Reich, and later the signatory of the Armistice. The second telegraph of the “Press Bureau” dated November 21st, 1918, reports of the announcement of the Secretary of the Admiralty regarding the surrender and internment of the German High Seas Fleet (Hochseeflotte). It was a term of the Armistice of 11 November 1918, ordering the German ships to be interned in the Royal Navy's base at Scapa Flow. The fleet was eventually scuttled on 21 June 1919. The third telegraph, also transmitted through the wireless stations of the French government, dated 28 June 1919, the day of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles which brought World War I to an end. It announces the Peace in capital letters, and reports that at “3.48 this afternoon the French Minister of War ordered by wireless the immediate firing of salvoes in celebration of Peace”. We could not trace any other copies of these documents in institutional holdings.

Sachgebiete: Autographen, Europa, Deutschland, Geschichte

5000,- EUR

...

[Marx, Karl]; [Engels, Friedrich]; [Lafargue, Paul] L'Alliance de la démocratie socialiste et l'Association internationale des travailleurs. Rapport et documents publiés par ordre du Congrès international de la Haye

Londres [London]; Hambourg [Hamburg]: A. Darson; Otto Meissner, 1873. First edition. The original printed wrappers bound into later half cloth. (4), 137, (1) p. Old, faint collection stamps on wrappers and title page. The front wrapper, and first leaf with traces of creasing. Wrappers and first and last two leaves dusted. A stain at the upper corner of the first four leaves, one leaf with a whole due to the stain, which only affects the margin. Overall in very good condition. A scarce copy of the renowned Alliance Pamphlet, whose conclusion was written by Karl Marx. This report, the so-called Alliance Pamphlet is a collection of documents and writings related to the International Alliance of Socialist Democracy, written, compiled, and edited by Friedrich Engels, Paul Lafargue and Karl Marx. The Alliance was a semi-secret, subgroup of the International Workingmen's Association (IWA; First International) founded and led by Mikhail Bakunin, the Russian revolutionary anarchist. The International sought to extrude the sectarian Alliance from the organization since its establishment in late 1868. Eventually, at the Hague Congress 1872, the leaders of the International exposed the public and clandestine activities of the group and expelled its chief leaders, Bakunin and James Guillaume from the IWA. The Congress appointed a committee which included Marx, Engles, and Lafargue to edit and publish the documents related to the Alliance. “The bulk of the work involved in the collection of additional material, its comparison and analysis was carried out by Engels and Paul Lafargue. The concluding part of the pamphlet was written by Marx” (see Collected Works 44. p. 665, note 623.). In his letter, dated on 26 July 1873 to Adolph Sorge, Engels wrote: “Lafargue and I wrote it [i.e. the Pamphlet] together; only the conclusion is by Marx and myself”. (Collected Works 44. p. 521.) The book appeared in French, in the fall of 1873, and soon it was translated into German under a somewhat more tendentious title “Ein Complot gegen die Internationale Arbeiter-Association”. Bibl.: The Collected Works of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. The Collected Works of Karl Marx and Frederick Engels. Letters 1844–1895. Volume 44. Charlottesville, Va.: InteLex Corporation, 2001. Rubel 726.; Stammhammer I, 3.


30000,- EUR

...

Signed, Typewritten Letter by Albert Hofmann; Photocopy of the First Report on the Use of LSD; and Other Documents.

1962–1978. Typewritten letters (1962) and 2 other texts on A4 sheets. A 4-pages photostat copy Hofmann’s report of his experiments on LSD in 1943 ( 1962?). 2 offprints of Hofmann’s articles on LSD (1970; 1978). Printed reproduction of Hoffman’s photo-portrait, labeled in pen on the verso. The photocopy is with occasional chipping. Overall in fine condition. A collection of documents related to Albert Hofmann and the discovery of LSD. A collection of documents sent by Albert Hofmann in 1962 on the request of Bo Holmstedt, a professor at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, for the preparation of a comprehensive history of pharmacology (written together with Göran Liljestrand, Readings in Pharmacology; Pergamon Press, 1963), with additional material related to the discovery of LSD. The archive consists Hofmann’s letter to Bo Holmstedt (signed, typewritten, with autograph corrections, with details of the discovery of the LSD and explanation of the attachments), and the attached documents: a photostat copy of Hofmann’s report on his first personal experience with the LDS (originally written for internal use at the laboratory, addressed to Prof. Stoll), a typewritten biography, the list of Hofmann’s publication, and a printed photographic portrait of the professor; supplemented with two later offprints of Hofmann’s articles in English Notes and Documents Concerning the Discovery of LSD (extracted from Agents and Actions, Vol. 1 Number 3. 1970), an 8-page article How LSD Originated (from the Journal of Psychedelic Drugs, Vol. 11 (1–2) 1978), and the copy of Holmstedt’s typewritten reply. Albert Hofmann (1906–2008) was a Swiss chemist, known best for his discovery of the hallucinogenic drug LDS (lysergic acid diethylamide), which he first synthesized in 1938 at the Sandoz Laboratories in Basel, Switzerland. LSD's psychedelic properties were discovered five years later, on April 19, 1943, when Hofmann himself ingested it. The copy of his report on this first experiment included in the present archive Provenance: Professor Jan G. Bruhn, Lund.

Sachgebiete: Alchemie, Philosophie, Psychologie

5200,- EUR

...

Poster of the 1943 UFA Film TITANIC.

Budapest: Radó, (1943 or 1944). Lithographic poster. Printed in black. Notes in blue pencil on the verso. 95 × 31 cm. Folded. In fine condition. Advertisement poster of the 1943 UFA film, the Titanic. Showing the letters of the word Titanic as if they were sinking into the deep dark, while bubbles of air swimming upwards in the direction of the surface, with grey waves in the background. With a vignette at lower right corner with the schedule of screening. “Titanic” is a Nazi propaganda film that shows the tragedy of the Titanic as an example of British mismanagement and placing profits ahead of safety and real progress. It also shows the the bravery and selflessness of German men. This film was the most expensive film ever produced in Germany up until that time. The film has fatal “behind the scenes” stories as well. The director, Herbert Selpin has been arrested during the filming in 1942 by the Nazi authorities and found death in his prison cell. He has been arrested after publicly criticising the German war efforts, which has been reported to the Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels. Officially it was said that Selpin hung himself with his trouser suspenders, but the rumour started to circulated immediately that he had been murdered on the orders of Goebbels. The film supposed to be premiered in early 1943 but the theater of the premier has been destroyed after a bombing of the Royal Air Force, finally the premier took place in Paris in 1943 November. Goebbels banned its playing in Germany as he decided that the scenes of death and disaster would be too much for a German public that was by that time suffering by the Allied bombing raids. Most of the film was shot on the board of SS Cap Arcona, a passenger liner in Poland. This ship became a death trap in the final days of the war, when the SS loaded it with mostly Jewish prisoners from concentration camps, who could have become witness against war crimes. The ship was sunk by the Royal Air Force on May 3, 1945, killing over 5,000 people, three times more than the loss of lives on the actual Titanic.


4000,- EUR

Foldvaribooks

Henszlmann Imre 3 • 1053 Budapest

Telefon 0036203564888
E-Mail: info@foldvaribooks.com · Internet: www.foldvaribooks.com